Dr. Cesar Bandera is Assistant Professor of Entrepreneurship at the School of Management, New Jersey Institute of Technology. His teaching focus is on the establishment and growth of technology start-ups. Dr. Bandera also has two companies in the NJIT Enterprise Development Center business incubator that specialize in mobile learning services. Before joining NJIT, Dr. Bandera worked at AT&T Labs, and led several technology companies from start-up to successful exit.
Dr. Bandera has secured over eight million dollars in research funding and three patents in the areas of multimedia technologies for education, management, and automation. The Department of Health and Human Services features his research as a success story under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, and his work is used by federal agencies including the Centers for Disease Control and NASA, and universities in the US. Dr. Bandera also serves as an advisor to small business incubator facilities in the US, Europe, and South America, where he teaches entrepreneurship as Honorary Professor or Distinguished Lecturer.
• Ph.D., University of Buffalo,1990• MS.ECE, University of Buffalo,1985
Honors & Awards
• 2011 Best Paper Award, Annual Conference of the American Society for Engineering Education• 2011, ARRA Success Story, National Institutes of Health (NIH), NIEHS-WETP http://www.niehs.nih.gov/recovery/success/index.cfm• 2010, Honorary Professor, Department of Systems, Computing, and Telecommunications Engineering, Universidad Inca Garcilaso de la Vega (Lima, Peru) • 2007, New Jersey Entrepreneur, NJBiz
• “New Venture Management,” NJIT School of Management (ENTR410)• “Introduction to Computer Science,” NJIT College of Computer Science (CCS113)• “Principles of Management; Honors Section & Interdisciplinary Design Studio” NJIT School of Management and Albert Dorman Honors College (MGMT390) • “Entrepreneurial Strategy,” NJIT School of Management (MGMT680)
• Entrepreneurism• Business Incubation• m-Health and m-Learning
• Just-In-Time Training of Deployed Skill Support Personnel Via Cell Phone Multimedia (#8131311, 2012)• Dynamically Reconfigurable Vision System (#710674, 2006)• CMOS Foveal Image Sensor Chip (#6455831, 2002)
• Interoperable Cell Phone Multimedia Messaging for Emergency Preparedness and Response, and Health Promotion; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2012, 2010, $1,100,000)• Mobile Job Aids for Just-In-Time Occupational Safety Training; National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (2011, $150,000)• Ubiquitous Mobile Multimedia for Environmental Public Health Outreach; National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences (2011, $100,000)• The Global Microscope: Integrating NASA Data into Learning and Teaching; NASA/Liberty Science Center (2010, $850,000)• Just-in-Time Training for Skilled Support Personnel; National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences (2008, $550,000)• Education on Demand for Technique Training; National Science Foundation (2003, 2005, $750,000)
Publications & Projects
• Joseph Hughes, Cesar Bandera, Pertti Hakkinen (2012) Mobile E-Learning Health Resources for Emergency Responders, Winter New Learning Technologies Conference, Society for Applied Learning Technology• Joseph Hughes, Cesar Bandera, Pertti Hakkinen (2011) NIH mHealth Resources for Hazmat Safety, 3rd Annual International mHealth Summit, Washington, DC• Cesar Bandera (2011) Health Outreach across the Digital Divide, 2nd Annual Conference on Innovation in Public Healthcare, Jersey City, NJ• Cesar Bandera (2011) Mobile Multimedia for Outreach across the Digital Divide, Congreso Internacional de Computación y Telecomunicaciones (COMTEL), Lima, Peru• Cesar Bandera, Marie Zoghbi, Catherine Jamal, Kimberly Clark, Nathan Huebner (2011) Interoperable Push-Based Mobile Multimedia for Health and Preparedness Outreach, National Conference on Health Communication, Marketing, and Media, CDC, August 2011• Gale Spak, Cesar Bandera, Peter Schmitt (2011) m-Outreach for Engineering Continuing Education: A Model for University-Company Collaboration, 118th Annual Conference of the American Society for Engineering Education. (Best Paper Award)• Cesar Bandera, Mitchel Rosen, Peter Schmitt (2010) Mobile Outreach to Underserved Demographics, New Learning Technologies Conference, Society for Applied Learning Technology • Cesar Bandera (2010) Preparedness and Response Multimedia on Cell Phones, Technologies for Critical Incident Preparedness, DHS/DOJ • Cesar Bandera, Mitchel Rosen (2010) Environmental Reporting and Alerts Across the Digital Divide, EPA Conference on Environmental Justice, Air Quality, Goods Movement, and Green Jobs: Evolution and Innovation, January 25-27, 2010• Cesar Bandera (2009) Mobile Multimedia for Health Social Networking, Community Outreach, and Emergency Training, UMDNJ Town Hall, NIEHS • Cesar Bandera (2008) Cellular Just-In-Time Training of Skilled Support Personnel, Workshop on Reducing Risk and Protecting Public Health Through Research and Training, Natcher Conference Center, NIH, Bethesda, MD, April 3-4, 2008• Cesar Bandera (2007) Entrepeneur 101: Lessons for success in the palm of your hand, NJBiz Magazine, August, 2007 • Cesar Bandera, Mitchel Rosen (2007) Update on Just-In-Time Training of Deployed Skilled Support Personnel via Cell Phone Multimedia, Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference, National Training and Simulation Association • Cesar Bandera (2007) Wireless Just-In-Time Training of Skilled Support Personnel, Emerging Technology Workshop, American Society for Training and Development • Cesar Bandera (2007) A resource for emerging companies, NJBiz Magazine, April, 2007 • Cesar Bandera, Michael Marsico (2006) Wireless Just-in-Time Training of Mobile Skilled Support Personnel, 2006 Defense and Security Symposium, SPIE • C. Bandera, Rich media streaming for just-in-time training of first responders, Proceedings of the 2005 SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, 28 Mar 2005 • C. Bandera, B. McMullen, R. Beck, Object-Oriented E-Education for PK-16 Students and Teachers, Proceedings of the 2004 International Educause Conference, 18 Oct 2004 • C. Bandera, Learner Diversity and Content Personalization with MPEG-4, 2004 National Science Foundation Design, Service and Manufacturing Grantees and Research Conference, 3 Jan 2004 • C. Bandera, B. McMullen, R. Beck, E-Learning Objects: The Value of SCORM and MPEG-7 Packaging for Digital Media Assets, Proceedings of the 2003 International Educause Conference, 3 Nov 2003